Saturday, April 26, 2008

January 21, 2008

In the first month of my battle, one of my sisters gave me a book called, “Getting Well Again.” This book described a number of studies in which “imagery” was used by controlled groups of cancer patients. In the number of cases where the groups used imagery during their struggle, they found more success than in the groups that did not. While reading the book, one exercise was to come up with my own imagery. It’s a little silly, but I’ll share it with you anyway.

Many of you know that I love to golf, and I love my clubs (Ping G2). During quiet moments, I will meditate and envision angels each equipped with a Ping G2 club, slowly moving through my system, seeking out cancer cells. The angels with the woods and long irons are whacking away with great might at each cell they find, while the angels with the short irons are pitching the cells into a river of the deadly chemo. It’s a great battle, but the angels always win!

Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers. And Go Team Pura Vida!
Maureen




imagery Tom Sadvary
Maureen,
Great use of imagery-I am sure that Mike also appreciates the golf analogy. I have known several cancer patients who have used imagery in a very productive way during chemotherapy. Dr. Andrew Wiel (the nationally known complementary medicine guru from university of arizona) has written about this topic in a very positive way. Best wishes to you and your family-know that you are in our prayers and hearts.


Thinking of you and praying that the chemo is doing it's job to whack away the demons.
Nancy McFarland
Maureen, I like the theory of imagery. Keep up the whacking of those bad cells, keep visulizing that they are being destroyed. Can't wait to have you well and to be able to play many rounds of golf with you and Mike. God Bless You! Love, Nancy


Ping G2 Clint Magnussen
Hi, Maureen,

I love your imagery, especially since I use G2s,too. Now, if you can only find a spot for a CrazE G2 putter, you'll have it knocked. God bless you --- you're in my prayers daily.

Clint Magnussen


Angels are Wonderful Fighters for Strength and Healing Cynthia Neuman
My Dear Friend Maureeen,

I think of you everyday and look for your latest updates. The recent one on Angels is not in the least bit silly. I rely on Angels alot in my life. When my mother past in 2001, the Angels where there to help me learn to live by myself. I never had to do that before, Mom was always there with me. She is still here with me everyday in spirit along with the Angels making sure I am not alone. With Gods good grace and the Angels I know you will bet this.

Love you
Many Blessings to you and your family.

Cynthia


Maureen - The Blessing of another day in 2008 Joan Lentner
I so enjoyed your latest update about your Angel Imagery. I firmly believe that the angels, especially our guardian angel, is very close to us. So I am all for it if those angels are hitting and knocking out the cancer cells...and with all of the prayers they should be exiting your body at a fast rate.

I spent this past weekend at the folks and it was very cold -24 below zero on Sunday morning. At the end of last week I had asked God if I could spend my birthday with my parents on Sunday (yesterday). When I opened my eyes on my birthday, I said Thank You God that I am still cancer free - I am hoping and praying that soon you will be able to say the same thing. I won't give up in bombarding Heaven with prayers for you. We will keep praying and those golf angels will be doing their job. Time for that smile :) break.

Joan
LH - Mpls


Remember "BIG BERTHA?" Kathy Miller
Hi Maureen! I'll never forget the day that Big Bertha arrived at our house and Steve took it out of the box, and how we laughed so hard. He sent it back, needless to say...not a club he'd want to be seen with. I will imagine, however, that you have one of those big whackers in your bag of Angel's clubs! That oughta do it! We think of you every single day and know that Jesus is hearing our prayers for your recovery! Much love to you all...Kathy


Saying hello. Freddie Coseglia
Hello Maureen:

I wanted to say hello and let you know that I often think of you. Your approach to fighting the cancer is remarkable and demonstrates your strong character.

You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Freddie.


Hope they hit 'em like I do... Rob Oliver
Hi Maureen and Mike,
I loved reading about your angels hitting those cells! Mike will remember that occasionally I can really scald a ball but it doesn't necessarily go where I meant it to. Joining in your imagery, I imagine getting a really good piece of it, but perhaps this time that cancer cell careening away into the woods or the water is a really GOOD thing. If those angels hit them like I do, they can blast 'em where they can't be found!!
Although we may not write in often, please remember that we are praying for you and absolutely know that you will beat this thing. Go Angels!
Rob & Angie Oliver


"FOUR!" Debbie Klimes
Maureen,

Great way to think about it! We also pray for all those Angels to knock those bad cells out of the course. Pings have always been our favorite clubs too! Wishing you great days filled with goodness and healing. Lots of love, The Klimes


yes, and with golf comes a feeling of contentment, i hear the ball in the cup right now
Patti Herf
hello, your message was PERFCET today as i jsut came in from golf clinic with Kathy...my clinics are treasured moments of complete relaxation since the learning process does not allow for any other thoughts to be racing through my brain...i think your analogy is perfect !! so far, your hitting par !! WOW !! WHAT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT ! TTYS, LOVE AND HUGS, PATTI AND CHARLIE


TV is the devil! Molly Casey
Hi Maureen,
I know what you mean about the tv...I come home from work and turn the tv on, the next thing I know, it is 10pm and I've wasted my entire evening! So I've decided that I'm giving up mindless tv watching for Lent.

Glad you're healing now that you're on the antibiotic. My positive thoughts on your recovery are coming your way!!!

Love,
Molly


I love it! Mary Permoda
Maureen,
that is a great image! I am imagining with you...

I pray this is a good day for you!


Maureen - The Blessing of another day in 2008 Joan Lentner
You have almost made it thru another week in 2008 (filled with challenges, I am sure.) That means you are one week closer to being well. There is always hope and there is life after cancer. They are on the horizon and they are so much closer than in the last qtr 2007. And you are doing it one day at a time with tons of blessings coming your way. And mega prayers from all the people who love you. Was thinking about you and wanted to tell you that you are not forgotten and prayed for lots...yes, lots of times each day. I will be going to adoration tomorrow and you will be lifted up for all that you need.

Joan
LH - Mpls


Angels Never Miss! Catherine Billion
You and them make a perfect team! Your trophy will be health!


Maureen Casey Jodi Matheson
Maureen, your imagery is a great analogy. I'll pray for your angels to hit many hole-in-ones!

Jodi, Lowry Hill, Minneapolis

No comments: