Saturday, April 26, 2008

February 05, 2008

Today I received chemo treatment #5. It started with an exam by Dr. Janicek and his right-hand "woman", nurse Kelly. This was the most encouraged I've seen the doctor yet. Everything he checked is improving. He even ordered the drain to be removed (I'm anxiously waiting to get that scheduled). We are definitely on the right track for complete healing.

They gave me a smaller dose of the chemo, given my delicate blood counts. That may be the case for the duration. As I suspected, he feels that due to the infections, etc. causing delays, I will most likely have two or three extra treatments beyond the standard six treatments. I'm fine with that, as it's my ticket to a longer life on earth. The chemo side effects are a breeze compared to those past infections.

Chemo day can be fun! There were two "graduates" in the room today. They received their last treatment, and had the "BIG RIBBON" hung on their IV pole. Their friends brought cookies and stories for everyone.

I will be a "graduate" someday. :-)


Hi Maureen Laurel Costello
You will definitely have a great graduation, kiddo. You sound strong and positive and things are sounding so much better for you. You are in my prayers continuously. -Laurel Costello


Give Praise to the Lord! Catherine Billion
He is so good to His daughter! Being that tomorrow's Ash Wednesday, we will be offering our fasts, prayers, works, joys and sufferings right along with you, Maureen and Mike, for full restoration of your health.
love, steve, catherine, paul, michael, andrew, gregory, brian, and mary.


Wonderful News! Theresa Schaefer F
You are such a fighter Maureen. I know how determined you are when it comes to winning.....and you will win this......it's like you are on hole #16 and you are ahead by 5 strokes.....your patience and determination will get you there. I miss you!! Love, Theresa


Graduation! Katie and Joe Casey
Ma Maureen,
When you graduate let's throw a party!
Love you so much!


This news today is far better than any WIN in the Super Bowl !!!!!!!!!! Patti Herf
Maureen, how WONDERFUL... you are winning in the Super Bowl of LIFE !!! GOOD FOR YOU !!! i do'n tknow if that room is BIG enough for all of your friends who would want to be at your GRADUATION !!!i'm so happy for you to also be able, soon, to have that drain removed !!!! PRAYERS do work... do'nt they ??!! KEEP YOU ALL OF YOUR WONDERFUL PROGRESS, i know it is upper most in your thoughts and prayers and for all of us too !!! HUGS TO YOU, PATTI AND CHARLIE



Congrats! We Love You Maureen! Jeanne Hassel
what great news... we love you Maureen and are so proud of you... Anna told me today she had to write about a Hero in her religion class today... I immediately thought of you Maureen! You are my Hero!
Love, Jeanne, Greg, Claire, Anna & Maria


Great News Maureen! Collin Casey
Such a great update to receive on a snowy night in Michigan! We are so proud of you! All our love~ Collin, Tracy, Sean, Cameron & Jacob :)


Spring and Graduation are just around the corner... Charlene Rex
Hi Maureen,
Congratulations on the great news!!! After a Winter of patient perseverance, Spring and your Graduation Day(!) are just around the corner - promising new beginnings in the fullest sense! I wish I could give you a whole bouquet of daffodils, my favorite symbol of Spring and all its promises of great things to come. This single virtual daffodil will have to do, but may it remind you that Bill and I continue to hold you in our hearts with absolute faith in your healing, and that you continue to be held in healing light and love by the prayer group that meets every Monday in Los Gatos and San Jose.
All our love to you and your family! Charlene



I am thanking God! Mary Permoda
That is such encouraging news! I celebrate this with you! Now just a few more steps and it you will be on your way to complete healing.....I am still storming heaven.....
with a grateful heart...


Awesome news! Patrick Goetzinger T
Your post sez it all, Maureen. You are blessed. Cheers. Pat


Our hero! Virginia Casey
Darling Maureen, you are always OUR HERO!!
Love to you, Mike and the boys! -Auntie Gin


On Our Minds Charlie Herf
Maureen-Patti and I are thinking about you daily and you are in our prayers. You continue to jump over each obstacle in great form on your road to recovery. They probably want your delightful company at the chemo center just to keep everyone else in focus ! Maybe weekend after this 2/15, 2/16 or 2/17 you will be up for a visit and Patti and I can surprise you and Mike with some goodies. Hang in there as you are doing great and a wonderful inspiration. Charlie


Thinking of you Donna Dominiack
Maureen, I want you to know I am still thinking of you and praying for you and your family. This graduation will be the best hands down, the graduation of life. We never know what tomorrow will bring but you are traveling down the right road. Good luck and keep up the faith.
God Bless You, Donna Dominiack


Gradation Party Patti Hartog
I like the whole concept of a "graduation." Signifies a new beginning and a time of tremendous optimism about the future, a rite of passge into a new time and place. Sounds like whate we heard at our high school graduation doesn't it? This is one graduation I can't wait to be a part of! God Bless! Larry


Da, da da da, daaa, daa! Joan Buckley
Hi Miss Maureeny Beany!
The message title? That was me, singing "Pomp and Circumstance."
Yes, you will be a graduate. And we will all be with you (well, maybe not in the room) praising and thanking God for blessing you, your family, and the dedicated team of healers.
You go, girl, the finish line is in sight!
Many prayers and many blessings to you and your family!
Joan B.


Maureen - The Start of a New Week! Joan Lentner
It was a very cold weekend in Minnesota -39 degree windchill. With spring just around the corner, we will soon have some of that nice AZ weather. As you begin this week, I'll be praying for an easy week for you...so that by the time Valentine's Day gets here you can "enjoy" the day with your sweetheart. Just know that God hears your name many times a day. Sending lots of love to put a smile on your face and to remind you that soon the really good days will be here for you. Time for that smile break :)


Thinking of you... Kathy Miller
Hi Maureen! Steve and I flew out to Utah yesterday (7th) and we cannot believe how much snow is on the ground. Today was a bright, sunny day, so hopefully it'll at least melt some of it. I like snow, and I always feel like a kid again, when I get to walk on the crunchy ice and packed snow. It reminds me of having to walk everywhere in Madison...school, downtown, home. We didn't get driven anywhere, unless it was below 0. Then my mom took pity on us and started up the old red jeep. I'm sure you have memories of playing in some pretty big snow piles with all your siblings. The only not-so-fun thing was getting a snowball smack in the face. Or on the back of a bare neck. Anyway, I hope you have some fun memories of winter time in South Dakota. God bless you today and everyday...Love you so much! Kathy


53 balloons Linda & Max Selig
Keep up the good work. Last week while at the oncologist with Max there was a woman there holding a giant "bouquet" of pink balloons. I asked her what the occasion was and she proudly told me she was 52 weeks free of cancer. You too will be there someday. Chemo is a hard road but worth the effort. I know you can make it. Just one day at a time!! Lin Selig


Maureen - The Blessing of another day in 2008 Joan Lentner
I was thrilled to read your latest email and that your graduation is just around the corner. It's been a long tough road but the light at the end of the tunnel is shining very bright. Soon you will again experience life after cancer in a very good way.
When I sat in church last night and thought about the season of Lent, I thought how you have carried that heavy cross everyday since last September. It's time for that Easter Sunday to happen in your life full of good health and mega blessings. I can see it coming. Your strength and courage is an inspiration...not sure I would have handled this as well as you have. I am so proud of you. I send a great big and lots of love from Minnesota.
Since Lent is a good time for extra prayer/meditation...you will be included. Have a good weekend.
Joan , LH - Mpls.


Graduation is near!! Lisa Lavely
Chemo graduation is in sight!! You are so awesome! You find something positive in every situation - I love that about you!!
Thank you for sharing the great news. :)

No comments: