Saturday, April 26, 2008

April 01, 2008

Well, I’m just starting to feel better from last week’s treatment, so I guess its time for another one. The nurse called today to say tomorrow’s chemo (4/2) is a “go.” Although my blood counts are still delicate, they are good enough to continue at an accelerated pace.

And since there isn’t much else to update you on, I thought it might be a good time to begin introducing you to my family and put a face to these names you’ve been reading about.

I will start with my sister, Catherine. Last week she was here to visit from South Dakota, accompanying her husband who was attending a medical seminar. She is mother of 6 (5 boys and 1 girl), 4 are still living at home, and she homeschools two of them. Needless to say, her plate is quite full!

But that did not stop her last October when she dropped everything to come to my aid after my first surgery. She spent the last night in the hospital with me (along with sister Carolyn), then helped me transition back into the house. The transition was not short of things to do: organizing appointments, medication prescriptions, emergency room visits, food and nutrition. As a registered nurse, her medical background was a Godsend.

Every morning she came to my bedside to check on how I fared through the night and began the day with morning prayer. Then each evening she closed the day with bedtime prayers.

We all had so much to learn about this journey. But as full as her plate already is, she and her husband, with their medical backgrounds, naturally have taken an active role in being a central source of research. They’ve spent countless hours learning and educating the rest of the family, interpreting medical jargon in layman’s terms.

During her visit last week, she was able to see the fruits of all the prayers being sent my way. I had energy enough to get out of the house with her for a few field trips, attend mass and cook a couple meals. We had a very special time.

Thank you, sister Catherine, for your prayers, care and attention. And thanks to all of you for your continued prayers during my battle and for all the cards and letters. Good things are in the works.
God loves you!
Maureen





Beautiful baldy!
Cynthia Sampers
Only you Maureen! can look so beautiful with or without hair! You are such a cutie! I had a little girl who is in remission from leukemia and I think she should get her ears pierced so she can wear earrings like yours, looking rather posh! You could be a rock star!
We continue to hold you and your family in prayer and raise your name at STB on a regular basis, so I know others have added your name to their prayer lists.
The joke was on us Minnesotans today: we the April fools: a snow storm that dropped about 7 inches of snow on us! wish I was joking!
LoveYa,
Sampers

Yes, Catherine is your Special Angel !!!! Patti Herf
How wonderful your sister has been able to be such a fantastic help to you and the family as well !!! AND, it certainly has resulted in wonderful intended consequences !!! YOU SOUND GOOD AND YOU STILL HAVE YOUR CHEERY SMILE... and, you will be a GRAMMA soon !!! IT IS the best !!! AND YOU WILL RELISH IT TOO !!! know that our prayers always are coming your way !! love and hugs ,patti


Continued Good Luck Tomorrow Lisa Lavely
Maureen - Wishing you continued good luck and healing with tomorrow's treatment. April 2nd is a wonderful day....Tomorrow is Cameron's 15th birthday, the anniversary of one of happiest days of my life. April 2nd will be a great day for you too - one step closer to beating this! Sending you much love!
Lisa


Hello Maureen L Ormsby
Maureen, you look so beautiful.. Always thinking and praying for you
Lisa


Hugs and Kisses Mary Sueper
Maureen-- you look so beautiful! I love your new hair that is starting to grow in!
... I love you!
Mary Beth
P.S. Congratulations, Grandma!!!!


You look awesome!!! Jan Larson
Hi Maureen! I am so glad to hear you are feeling stronger every day. I'm hoping your treatment goes well tomorrow. My thoughts and prayers are with you every day. Keep posting your great news on the website!!


Ooops! Charlene Rex
Ooops! Can't believe I had one of my major Senior Moments in the middle of my last posting - AND that I didn't catch it! My apologies to you and to Catherine - I KNEW that was her name, and why I said Carolyn is beyond me (does it count that it did start with the same letter?!?).Oh me..."Old age isn't for sissies" takes on a new meaning each day! With love, and a red face!...Charlene



Sending love and smiles your way... Charlene Rex
Hi Maureen, You look so beautiful! Thank you for sharing your picture and the lovely introduction to Carolyn - she is truly one of your special angels. You are so blessed with a most wonderful, loving family that we know has been your mainstay. We've been thinking positive thoughts for you all day today, trusting that this chemo session won't be too bad. We, and the Monday afternoon prayer circle, continue to hold you in our prayers with faith and gratitude that good things ARE in the works! Much love, Charlene and Bill


Hi ! Kathi and Pat Rile
Congratulations on your grandbaby to be news ! It's the Best ! Thank you for sharing your family with us through pictures ! Our Lord has surrounded you with LOTS of love !!!!!!!!!!! We are praying mightily for your healing !!!!!!!!
Lots of love, Kathi and Pat


Maureen - Good Luck today with your treatment! Judy Kludt
Our prayers are with you especially today as you start another treatment. It should be a good day - April 2nd - today is the 39th Anniversary of our Engagement, Paul proposed to me in Sioux Falls, SD, my how time flies.
Thinking of you and your family and continuing prayers and positive thoughts and wishes!
Paul & Judy Kludt and family


Wishes for a Wonderful Wednesday! Joan Lentner
As I read your latest update about your sister Catherine, it reminded me of my special sisters and parents who surrounded me with love while I dealt with my cancer issue. Their presence was so reassuring in the tough moments...and you could "feel" their love. That in itself is such a great blessing. Of course, I can't complain about my brothers because they showed their love in ways to. The bond between sistes is so great. I am encouraged and so happy everytime I read your updates, because the news is more and more encouraging. I am so truly happy for you. Prayers are vital to the recovery, so be assured that mine have not stopped and are going, going, going for you Maureen. Thanks for being an inspiration to so many people. Remember that it's one day at a time and God truly does give us all that we need.
Joan -
LH Mpls


Spring is in the air! Kathy Miller
Hi Maureen! I don't think even the most beautiful spring flowers hold a candle to how beautiful you are! The picture of you and Catherine is wonderful. What a dynamic duo! Add one more sister in the picture and you could be "Charlie's Angels," kicking all opponents square in the ***. Keep up the fight! You are going to conquer! Kathy


Family Photos JOHN OBRIEN
Maureen,
I loved viewing the pictures of your family and learning what a Godsend your sister Catherine is. I am so glad that you have such a loving and caring family to lean on during your recovery. All of us at DTC love you and miss your smiling face!


You look beautiful! Jeanne Hassel
Loved the picture and the update! Beautiful! We love you Maureen!
Jeanne, Greg and girls


Thank You Maureen! Catherine Billion
Maureen, Excuse me...I believe that I was the recipient of YOUR generosity! I wish people could have witnessed you cooking, chauffeuring, and making sure that I was having a nice break from work, while also covering the needs of your family! I also wish that people around the world could have heard you singing in Mass Sat. evening! Now that was glorious, with strength and clarity! I am safely back home, and miss you already! I have great fresh memories to go on, as well as the thanksgiving I feel in my heart for you and your family and for your recovery.
Take good care! Love, catherine


Thank you so much Elaine DuBois-Karr
It is wonderful to be virtually introduced to your sister Catherine. She is such a treasure. I hope your treatment went well today and pray for your continued recovery. I am off to Boston for a business trip that I have extended to visit my baby sister Elise. We plan to spend the weekend doing sister stuff and I am sure we will be up all night giggling over childhood memories.
God Bless you and your lovely sister. Much love, Elaine


Sending hugs! Kathy Miller
Hi Maureen! Just wanted to send hugs your way...I'm thinking of you all and miss you very much. Many times a day I whisper a little prayer for you. Much, much love....Kathy


Go Jayhawks! Molly Casey
Hi Maureen! I'm sorry I haven't left a message in quite some time, but it doesn't mean I haven't been thinking of you. I just read Catherine's post on the Jayhawks! Well, being that I'm a KU alum and I live an hour away from San Antonio, I went to the games and witnessed the incredible win! It was so much fun. I kept saying prayers and Memphis would miss their free throws! "Free throws win games!"
I hope you're doing well. Looking forward to another update. And congrats on the news about Joe and Katie!!!



Greetings for a wonderful Friday ...Maureen!!! Joan Lentner
You would love it in Minnesota. Brainerd got 12+ inches of snow. Mpls had a lot of rain so we only have a tiny white snow cover. Looking at the earth from the 53rd floor is really pretty. Kind of reminds me of Christmas...that's good because you get presents :)
You have made it another week. Whatever you have needed God has provided. We continue with our mega prayers and he gives you an abundance of gifts to get thru life...one day at a time. We are all still praying and sending the best healing vibes your way Maureen. You are awesome and such an inspiration (we also know you've had a lot of hard moments). So wishing you a fabulous Friday.
The most important thing is that God loves you and is with you right this very second.
Joan -
LH Mpls


Maureen - Joan Lentner
I was at a 3 day spiritual weekend and the theme of the retreat was on how much God Loves us and is there for us. So just know that he is with you the very moment...and I'm praying!!!
Wishing you a wonderful day. Complete with peace, better health, smiles and tons of love coming your way.
It's the week before taxes are due and it's quite stressful and wild, but we will get thru it. :)
Joan
LH - Mpls


How About Those K. U. JayHawks!!!??? Catherine Billion
Dear Maureen,
I hate to rub it in, but they were my pick, because Andrew will be residing at Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas, starting in August! We were all sooooo excited they won. I was rooting for UCLA too, for you, up until they lost. We are praying for your CA 125 to have dropped to normal by the 14th. This will be a most special week for you and our family, Maureen.
I love you lots, catherine

No comments: